- PhD Cultural Anthropology, University of California, Santa Barbara 2019- Present
- UC Chancellor’s Fellow
- MRes Social Anthropology, University of Cambridge 2017- 2018
- Marshall Scholar
- Master of Research
- Thesis- Burning Forests: Knowledge, Environment, and Milpa Farming in the Maya Lowlands of Mexico
- MSc Sustainability, Culture, and Development, Durham University 2016-2017
- Marshall Scholar
- Master of Science
- Thesis- Silencing Forests: The Political Ecology of Biocultural Survival in the Yucatán
- BA Anthropology, Kansas State University 2012-2016
- English, Portuguese, Spanish
Publications and Presentations
- “Biocultural Legacies: Blurring the Lines of Biological and Cultural Loss and Conservation in the Maya Lowlands of Mexico” Anthropology Matters Journal, (Under Revision).
- “Forgotten Collections: Ethnobotanical Findings of the 1898 Cambridge Expedition to the Torres Strait” Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, (Forthcoming).
- “Cultivating Continuity: Ethnoecological Heritage Initiatives towards the Safeguarding of Indigenous Heritage” International Journal of Intangible Heritage, (Under Revision).
- “Cultivating Culture: Youth Food Movement in Taos Pueblo” Crossing Borders: A Multidisciplinary Journal of Undergraduate Scholarship, (January 2017).
- “To Live in This World” Journal of Video Ethnography, (October 2015).
ARTICLES FOR GENERAL AUDIENCE
- “The Frontlines of Climate Change on a California Fire Crew” (Forthcoming 2020).
- “All Along the Wall” (Forthcoming 2020).
- “The Long Way to Sarajevo” The Expeditioner (February 2019).
- “The (Un)natural Disaster of California Fires” The Santa Barbara Independent (November 2018).
- “Farming in Maya Forests” Permaculture Magazine (June 2018).
- “Sustainable Cuba: The Future of Urban Farms” Permaculture Magazine (January 2017).
- “Coca-Colonization and Christmas Cheer in Mexico” Global SL International Development Blog (November 2015).
- “A Seed to Save the World” Popular Resistance, (April 2015).
- “The Americas Ablaze: How Social and Cultural Processes Fight and Fuel the Planet’s Fires.” Panel Organizer and Presenter. Late Breaking Session. American Anthropological Association Conference, Vancouver, Canada, November 2019.
- “Fighting Fires, Battling Natures: Ontology in California’s Wildfires.” Changing Climates, American Anthropological Association Conference, Vancouver, Canada, November 2019.
- “The Ethnobotany of Resistance in Southern Mexico.” Guest lecture for Environmental Anthropology course, University of California, Santa Barbara 2019
- “Biocultural Legacies: Blurring the Lines of Biological and Cultural Loss and Conservation in the Maya Lowlands of Mexico.” People and Environment, Royal Anthropological Institute, Bristol, UK, September 2018.
- “Cultivating Culture: Youth Food Movement in the Taos Pueblo Community.” Ecological Perspectives, Central States Anthropological Society Conference, Kansas City, MO, April 2016.
- “To Live in this World.” Ethnografilm Festival, Paris, France, April 2015.
- “Creating Balance: Continuity and Productivity in a Volunteer Farming Community.” Central States Anthropological Society Conference, Normal, Illinois, April 2014.
- “Burning Forests.” Cambridge University Photography Exhibition, Cambridge, UK, September 2018.
- “Towards a ‘Question-Oriented’ Education.” Kansas State SPOTLIGHT, Manhattan, KS, April 2016.
- “Youth Food Movements.” Posters at the Capitol, Topeka, KS, February 2016.
- “Getting Real: Journeys from a College Gap Year.” TEDx Fueling Human Existence event, Manhattan, KS, 2015.
- “Innovation and Inspiration Launch.” Innovation and Inspiration Philanthropy Campaign, 1700 people in audience, Goal $1 billion, Manhattan, KS, October 2015.
- “Insights from a Bicycle Journey through Latin America.” Rotaract Society, Manhattan, KS, 2015.
- “To Live in this World.” Kansas State SPOTLIGHT event, Manhattan, KS, March 2015. Spoke about documentary research.