Host people from around the world traveling through your area
Stay with local people in any part of the world as you travel.
What is it?
Couchsurfing is a website which allows people to stay in people’s homes for free when traveling.
How does it work?
Couchsurfing works on a sort of karma system. People host travelers to gain positive reviews so that they are more likely to be accepted by hosts when they travel.
1. You usually need to build up some legitimacy for people to host you. You can do this by gaining positive reviews. Start by making a complete profile. Ask friends to write personal reviews for you. Maybe host a few travelers to gain more reviews.
2. Submit requests to several hosts when you are ready to travel. Always submit multiple requests to increase your chance of being accepted, but personalize each message so that the host can tell that you are genuine. If you are worried about security, contact hosts with lots of positive reviews.
3. The host will confirm or deny your request.
4. Enjoy staying with local people! You will get to see the place you are in from a whole different perspective.
Why it is awesome
-Couchsurfing has introduced me to dive bars in Tulsa, a beach party in Mexico, meat pie in Nottingham, a rugby match in Colombia, a frat party in Texas, a peat bog in the Netherlands, a dance party in Bristol, a cowboy bar in Wyoming, and hashish in the Kingdom of Jordan. I have found few better platforms for connecting deeply with the places I travel through.
-There are 162,799 hosts in London, 80,310 hosts in Los Angeles, and 76,163 hosts in Mexico City. Couchsurfing hosts are everywhere.
-Hosting can be fun and exciting.
Couchsurfing is now so widely used that it can be difficult to find an available host in travel hubs, such as Barcelona or Athens.
Safety and Concerns
If you are concerned about safety, there are several things you can do.
1. Ensure that your host/guest has lots of positive reviews, and read the reviews closely. You can always contact people who have hosted/stayed with this person to verify that the review is legitimate.
2. Talk with your host or connect on facebook before staying with them.
3. Only stay with/host people and demographics you are comfortable with.